Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Georgia Cornbread Cake

I was just wondering if any of my blogging friends have ever heard of a "Georgia Cornbread Cake" ? My mom told me about it last night. My sister got the recipe from a lady at church. She fixed one for something that they had at church and it was the hit of the event. It has been passed around to all of my family and spread its way all through the community. It is the craze of the community right now. I have not tasted of it yet (I am on a diet you know) but everyone thinks that it is wonderful. A cornbread cake with no cornbread in it. I have put the recipe below. Let me know what you think. I also found a recipe for this cake on the Internet that calls for Splenda instead of regular sugar. Maybe I will try making one. Obviously I have not figured out how to put this in recipe form so excuse me. I know that it is all running together. I did try what someone recommended but it did not work for me. 1 cup - sugar 1 cup - brown sugar 4 - eggs, beaten 1 cup - vegetable oil 1 and 1/2 cups - self-rising flour 1 teaspoon - vanilla extract 2 cups - pecans, chopped very fine Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in flour and vanilla. Add pecans and stir until evenly mixed. Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

6 comments:

Omah's Helping Hands said...

What an interesting name for a cake that doesn't have cornmeal in it. Will have to try it. I wonder if the texture is much like that of corn bread? Thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

Never heard of it but I'll give it a try. You are doing really good not to be cheating on your diet. Way to go! Come by my place and pick up a couple of awards I have for you. Till next time - Sharon

SmilingSally said...

Oh no, you don't! You say you haven't tried it because you're on a diet, and you want fat ol' me who is never on a diet to try it. Girl, do you want the walls of my house to explode out? I can't do this.

YaYa's Funhouse said...

Why is it called cornbread cake??? I would like to try it, but as you know I am trying to restrain myself from indulging.....HA!! will try later.

Deare Diary said...

From what I understand, it gets it's name because of the texture. You can do do a google search for Georgia Cornbread Cake and click on the site that says Recipezaar. SmilingSally, I do not want anything to happen to you *giggle* I was just wondering if anyone had tried it before.

YaYa's Funhouse said...

I did research it...it is called cornbread cake because the finely chopped pecans give it a cornbread texture. And it tastes nothing like cornbread!!! tee! hee!