It seems like to me that every season they alert us about a new virus of some kind. I have never heard of this Fifth Disease until now. Maybe it has been around and I just did not know about it. My grand-daughter came home yesterday after school complaining that her face was itching. Her mom said that her face looked real red and had a rash on it that appeared to be under the skin. It quickly spread to her neck, back, stomach, and arms. Mom called this morning to get her an appointment to see her pediatrician but was told that it was not necessary to bring her in because they already knew what it was. Evidently there is an outbreak of it here in our town. She was told the only thing that she needed to do was give her benadryl. No need to keep her home from school. It apparently goes away in 2-3 days.
What's Fifth Disease?
Especially common in kids between the ages of 5 and 15, fifth disease typically produces a distinctive red rash on the face that makes the child appear to have a "slapped cheek." The rash then spreads to the trunk, arms, and legs. Fifth disease is actually just a viral illness that most kids recover from quickly and without complications.
Fifth disease (also called erythema infectiosum) is caused by parvovirus B19. A human virus, parvovirus B19 is not the same parvovirus that veterinarians may be concerned about in pets, especially dogs, and it cannot be passed from humans to animals or vice versa.
Studies show that although 40% to 60% of adults worldwide have laboratory evidence of a past parvovirus B19 infection, most of these adults can't remember having had symptoms of fifth disease. This leads medical experts to believe that most people with a B19 infection have either very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all.
Fifth disease occurs everywhere in the world. Outbreaks of parvovirus tend to happen in the late winter and early spring, but there may also be sporadic cases of the disease any time throughout the year.
7 comments:
I hope your granddaughter is feeling well today. Sorry I havent been by lately. I have a senior this year so it's double busy getting her ready for college in the Fall but God is good my husband still has a job and we are able to walk. I am grateful for all of God's Blessings. I hope you and your loved ones are doing great to. Hugs to you. Lisa
PS are you on Facebook? I joined. it is very nice and a quick way to stay in touch if you have time lol
I've never heard of this. Thank goodness, your daughter acted promptly.
I heard of this when I was in college, but that was the first time. It is very dangerous for pregnant women to be exposed to this virus. Just in case anyone reading these comments is pregnant -- FYI.
Blessings,
Beth
Goodness! We're going to have to start wearing HazMat protection!!
I hope she doing better and this virus goes away soon!!
First time I heard about it.
Hope your grand daughter is feeling better.
Thanks for the heads up. I did not know about this.
I pray she's doing better!!! I never heard of this before!!
Post a Comment