I took my camera and got a few snapshots to go along with my memories. This picture was taken in downtown Oakvale, MS.
If you look real close you can see the Post Office in the left side of the picture. If someone happens to get the address wrong on a letter; NO PROBLEM, everyone knows everyone. The mail carrier will see that the letter gets delivered to the right address. I have good memories of growing up in a small community. We live in a fast paced and ever changing world, but I love the fact that some things have not changed.
This is a picture of the country store that I used to go to when I was younger. It is really a historical land mark to me. Everyone in the surrounding areas knows where Mr. Calvin's Store is. It is still in operation and ran by his son Joey. I asked permission to take this picture but I did not realize that the gentleman in the right hand corner had gotten into the snap shot. I am really not sure who he is. The "bench" out front is where the gentlemen sit and talk about the daily news. If it was ladies doing the talking, it would be called the "Gossip Bench". Since it is men doing the talking, it is just called the "Daily News"! They might be talking about hunting, fishing, gardens, or who died. Whatever the events happen to be for that week, that is what they talk about.
Check out these three stooges. This is my youngest sister Lisa's children. They remind me of my brothers and sisters when we were younger. The cute little guy with the skinned up nose is Devin. The little cutie on the bottom left is Chloe and the one with the pretty smile on the right is Erica. I had to get another picture after this one. Do you see the fingers above their heads?
I left my old stomping grounds and went for a short visit with my mother-n-law. Her husband was home for a visit from the nursing home to celebrate his birthday. He was so relaxed in his recliner that he hardly even knew I was there. He was enjoying HIS day. I left there and headed home. Driving home I found myself thinking about my life, the past and the present. A lot has changed but God's grace has not. He has blessed me so much. Now it was time to get back to the old routine.
8 comments:
You are blessed with beautiful memories and a precious family. Those children are adorable.
That was a lot of visiting, but how full your heart must have felt when you got home. It was a time well spent!
I will get you back big sis you think your sneaky. So am I . Lisa
I'm glad for your memories and how sweet/sour this visit must have been.
I feel so badly for your mother-in-law who must cry at night thinking of her husband recently enjoying his chair.
Looks like you had a great time. Way better than cleaning:) Nothing like rural America- nothing like it at all.
rhonda
How precious. Thanks for sharing with us. Those kids are too cute!
love the last photo, I have one like it with my brother putting the bunny ears behind my head...thank you for stopping by to visit...come back anytime!
Love the pictures! Especially the one of your sister!
OH~~~ What a wonderful way to spend the day.
God Bless,
Ginger
Post a Comment